SEMESTER 1, 2018 SPONSORSHIP APPLICATIONS ARE OPEN FROM 1 NOVEMBER TO 6 JANUARY
The POLHN sponsorship scheme is a unique opportunity for health care professionals to have their postgraduate education fully funded. Its key partner in this is Fiji National University (FNU). Since 2005, POLHN has partnered with FNU to offer sponsorship for online courses through its School of Public Health.
Each semester, POLHN sponsors approximately 100 staff from Pacific ministries of health to take instructor-led postgraduate courses. Postgraduate certificates, diplomas and masters programmes are all available. These can be completed without students leaving their communities.
POLHN sponsors courses in the following:
- Postgraduate Certificate in Applied Epidemiology;
- Postgraduate Diploma in Applied Epidemiology;
- Postgraduate Certificate in Health Research;
- Postgraduate Diploma in Health Research;
- Postgraduate Certificate in Health Service Management;
- Postgraduate Diploma in Health Service Management;
- Master in Health Service Management;
- Postgraduate Certificate in Public Health;
- Postgraduate Diploma in Public Health; and
- Master in Public Health
For more detail on which units are available within these programmes, have a look at the document on POLHN-sponsored FNU units 2017.
Who is eligible?
In order to qualify for sponsorship for FNU courses, you must:
- Be a citizen and current resident of a Pacific island country; and
- Be a permanent or full time employee of a Pacific island country Ministry of Health; and
- Have a Bachelor’s degree or diploma with at least five years work experience with the Ministry of Health.
Enrolment is usually open for two months, check the POLHN website or Facebook page for dates. Please note that POLHN will only sponsor one unit per semester, per candidate. Students are welcome to take another unit privately.
Students must apply for sponsorship every semester. As such, the application process varies somewhat between new and continuing students.
For new students
- Applicant completes the POLHN application form and the FNU application form.
- Applicant submits forms along with the following relevant supporting documents, including:
- Birth certificate;
- Marriage certificate (where applicable for change of name);
- Certified copies of tertiary qualification results (if applicable);
- Secondary school qualification results;
- Two passport size photos;
- Letters from employers (if applicable); and
- Approved sponsorship letter (if applicable.
- Applicant emails scanned application to to email@example.com, CC. firstname.lastname@example.org
- FNU vets applicants based on academics (at this point successful Fijians will need to send FNU a support letter from their National Learning and Development Committee)
- FNU sends the list to the POLHN Secretariat Office
- POLHN sends the vetted lists to the Ministry of Health, the POLHN focal point and WHO country office for endorsement at the national level
- POLHN compiles an endorsed student list and sends this list to the FNU.
For continuing students
- Student completes the POLHN application form (each semester).
- Student emails scanned application to to email@example.com, CC. firstname.lastname@example.org
- Student enrolls through the FNU online enrolment platform (click here) when it is open (for semester 2, 2017, this is from 1 to 14 July).
- For grades of “B” and above, the student list will come directly to the POLHN office. For grades of “C” and below, students will be put on a waiting list (at this point successful Fijians will need to send FNU a support letter from their National Learning and Development Committee).
- POLHN sends the approved list to the Ministry of Health, POLHN focal point and WHO country office for endorsement at the national level
- POLHN compiles an endorsed student list and sends this list to FNU