Gain the knowledge to ensure patients are treated in a safe and healthy setting.
In this POLHN self-paced programme, you will learn the basic concepts required to detect health care associated infections, and to prevent and manage outbreaks.
This course begins with the basics of health care associated infections and epidemiology, before explaining what precautionary actions should be taken. Finally, you will be taught how to manage outbreaks.
What will you learn?
At the end of this course, you will be able to:
- Explain health care associated infections (HCAIs) and antimicrobial resistance, contributing factors, costs and impact
- Apply appropriate steps to break the chain of infection and reduce health care associated infections
- Use correct infection prevention and control measures including standard and transmission-based precautions
- Adopt best practices in collecting, labelling, transporting and reporting on specimens for laboratory analysis
- Apply epidemiological principles and best practices in surveillance and outbreak detection and management
- Assess and take steps to improve infection prevention and control in health care settings.
This modular e-learning basic course on "Infection Prevention and Control" offers hands-on training to health care professionals regarding basic concepts of Infection Prevention and Control in health care settings. The topics covered in this online infection control course are an overview of hospital-acquired infections, standard precautions to be practiced by the staff and patients to reduce infection transmissions. This e-learning course focused on infection control training for healthcare workers is helpful in day-to-day activities of trainee medical students, trainee nursing students, nursing and auxiliary health care workers, managers and staff of allied medical services (CSSD, laundry, biomedical waste management, housekeeping, security, maintenance services, etc.). The course is also useful for policymakers in health and medical services, engineers and architects engaged in the design, construction and renovation of health care buildings, health care administrators, medical doctors, health care workers, and laboratory technologists.
After completing this infection control training course, the students shall be able to learn:
- Infections, hospital-acquired infections and nosocomial infections;
- Reasons for hospital-acquired and nosocomial infections;
- The importance of Infection Prevention and Control;
- Engineering measures of Infection Prevention and Control;
- Administrative measures of Infection Prevention and Control;
- Uses of Personal Protective Equipments measures in Infection Prevention and Control;
- Importance of hand hygiene and five moments of hand hygiene;
- Different types of hand hygiene techniques;
- Procedure for hand hygiene in surgical scrubbing;
- Importance of respiratory hygiene and cough etiquette;
- Important aspects of cleaning and disinfection of patient care environment;
- Sterilization and disinfection of patient care equipment and its importance in infection control;
- How to deal with needlestick injuries in the day to day practices in health care settings; and
- How to handle biomedical wastes and its importance in Infection Prevention and Control.
Module 1 - Introduction and Overview
Module 2 - Hand Hygiene and Respiratory Hygiene
Module 3 - Disinfection and Sterilization of Patient Care Equipments/Environment
Course Evaluation Quiz
Course Questions & Answers
Do I need any prior knowledge to complete this course?
Can’t find your preferred answer?
Is there a required reading list?
What if I need additional time to complete the course?
When will I have access to the modules and assignments?
How can I access my certificate?
This self-paced course has been designed in a manner that enhances understanding of the core concepts and provides easy to access learning materials. The course uses a range of study material such as pre-recorded videos, lecture slides, quizzes and assignments, and is developed by a team of dedicated health education experts.
Connect with other students through the discussion forum, where you can easily discuss the course or debate the ideas. Need more help? Your instructors are also available online to answer any questions you might have.
Extend Your Career with a Verified Certificate
POLHN self-paced courses are recognised by Pacific Ministries of Health. Once you have successfully completed the course, you will receive an official certificate. This certificate can be used for credit to gain CPD points.
Request more info
This course offers training to health care professionals regarding basic concepts of infection prevention and control and gives an overview of nosocomial infections and precautions to avoid their spread.
Infection Prevention and Control
Want to try something new? Take a look at some of our new certified courses and boost your knowledge!